Buckwheat Chocolate Cake
1 hour to prepare
If you are one the crazy few who doesn’t love chocolate, try buckwheat for the same gut benefits. Added bonus, buckwheat is gluten free.
- 2 cups raw buckwheat flour
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with oil.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Place the ground chia seeds into a blender. Add the hot water and blend for a few seconds to combine. Let rest for about 2 minutes to form a gel. Then add the remaining wet ingredients and blend again to combine. Alternatively, you can add the ground chia seeds and hot water to a medium-sized mixing bowl and quickly whisk together (they will clump up if not whisked immediately). Let rest for a minute or two, then add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk together well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry, scraping everything out using a silicone spatula, and whisk together.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding any glaze or frosting.
🙏 💖 🌱