Always know what is being offered
The chef, bartender (if passing drinks) or lead will explain what you are serving. It is also helpful to read the event notes and production sheet prior to the event.
Know all of the following:
- Name and proper pronunciation of the item being offered
- Key ingredients (think allergies)
Tray Passing instructions
- Hold the tray in one hand and the fanned out napkins in the other
- Taste food items to understand before serving
- Offer a napkin first then the food or beverage
- Have your hand under the tray with no thumb on the edge of the tray
- Use a pick cup / shot glass where necessary
- Garnish on the platter should be closest to the server
- Circulate around the room – making sure all guests see what you are offering
- If a guest declines the first time check again with them later
- Return to the kitchen for replenishment when 25% of the tray remains.